A spouse to modern French Cinema offers a accomplished selection of unique essays addressing all features of French cinema from 1990 to the current day.
• beneficial properties unique contributions from best movie students in terms of all features of up to date French cinema
• contains new learn on concerns when it comes to the political financial system of up to date French cinema, advancements in cinema coverage, viewers attendance, and the categories, development, and maintenance of theaters
• makes use of groundbreaking examine on cinema past the fiction movie and the cinema-theater corresponding to documentary, beginner, and electronic filmmaking
• comprises an surprisingly huge diversity of methodological ways and views, together with these of style, gender, auteur, undefined, monetary, superstar, postcolonial and psychoanalytic studies
• comprises essays through vital French cinema students from France, the united states, and New Zealand, lots of whose paintings is right here provided in English for the 1st time
Read or Download A Companion to Contemporary French Cinema PDF
Similar film books
François Truffaut (1932-1984), possibly the main revered member of the recent Wave crew of French moviemakers, left a legacy of liked and influential motion pictures that come with The four hundred Blows, Jules and Jim, Stolen Kisses, Day for evening, and the tale of Adele H. both attention-grabbing is the very huge physique of movie feedback Truffaut wrote over decades for Cahiers du Cinema and different best movie journals.
Wong Kar-Wai strains this immensely interesting director's perennial issues of time, love, and loss, and examines the political implications of his motion pictures, specially about the handover of former British colony Hong Kong to the People's Republic of China.
This booklet is the 1st in any language to hide all of Wong's paintings, from his first movie, As Tears cross via, to his newest, the nonetheless unreleased 2046. it is also his best-known, hugely venerated movies, Chungking show, satisfied jointly, and peculiarly, within the temper for romance. most significantly, Peter Brunette describes the ways that Wong's supremely visible movies try to create a brand new kind of cinema by way of counting on beautiful, suggestive visible pictures and audio tracks to inform their tale, instead of on conventional notions of personality, discussion, and plot. The query of Wong Kar-wai's use of style movie options in artwork movies is usually explored extensive.
Initially arriving in Hollywood to pursue an appearing occupation, James Bridges went directly to write and direct such renowned motion pictures because the Paper Chase, The China Syndrome and concrete Cowboy. This ebook tells the tale of his existence and profession, helped by way of new interviews with associates and collaborators; it additionally bargains an in depth research of every of Bridges' 8 function motion pictures, together with his lesser-known cult classics September 30, 1955 and Mike's homicide.
KIM Jee-woon is either a skilled style filmmaker and one of many few cineastes in today's Korean movie owning either skillful storytelling talents and an unique visible variety. KIM started his profession as a degree actor, level director, and screenwriter. His motion pictures were hailed by means of critics and audiences alike for his distinctive kinds and approach to storytelling.
- Le cinéma de science-fiction
- Apocalypse on the Set: Nine Disastrous Film Productions
- Perverse Titillation: The Exploitation Cinema of Italy, Spain and France, 1960-1980
- Dark Dreams 2.0: A Psychological History of the Modern Horror Film from the 1950s to the 21st Century
- Czech and Slovak Cinema: Theme and Tradition
- Chris Marker: La Jetée (One Work Series)
Extra resources for A Companion to Contemporary French Cinema
8 I would like to thank Michel Marie for drawing attention to this input from French production companies. 9 See, in particular, Jean-Michel Frodon, L’ Âge moderne du cinéma français: de la Nouvelle Vague à nos jours (Paris: Flammarion, 1995), René Prédal, Le Cinéma français des années 1990: une génération de transition (Paris: Armand Colin, 2008); René Prédal, Le Cinéma français depuis 2000: un renouvellement incessant (Paris: Armand Colin, 2008); and Tim Palmer, Brutal Intimacy: Analyzing Contemporary French Cinema (Middletown, CT: Wesleyan University Press, 2011).
Jefferson Kline looks specifically at several films based on historical novels, tracing the processes of transformation that have taken place from page to screen in order to demonstrate the high level of creativity involved in recent adaptations of French patrimonial fiction. Also focusing on the heritage film, Gwénaëlle Le Gras in Chapter 14 demonstrates how the French passion for history and the country’s cultural legacy has enabled stars to exploit the heritage film, because of its association of spectacle with identity, as a means of flourishing in a highly competitive industry.
3 In many countries looking to develop a policy for supporting cinema, priority is given to the allocation of resources for film production, forgetting, or relegating to a secondary order of importance, the issues of distribution, exploitation, and audiences. Doing this might satisfy certain objectives arising from cultural politics, but in practice risks, above all else, increasing the contradictory tension between the growing abundance of films and the possibility that the majority of them will ever find an existence through encountering an audience.